Saturday, August 23, 2008

Under The Hood

Hey everybody, barely managed to go flying today! It was raining pretty good but it held off just long enough for me to get up there! Today we practiced flying in "IFR" conditions. I put on a mask that restricted my view and I had to fly solely of watching the instruments. It was pretty fun and really different.

We practiced how easy it is to get disoriented when you can't see outside the airplane. We did a 360 degree turn in two minutes and by that time my body felt like we were flying straight and level. When J-P leveled the wings for real it felt like we were corkscrewing to the left. After we practiced more turns and a climb or two we headed back to the airport.

Before we landed we went up as high as we could to do our own little weather report. We climbed right up to the ceiling and recorded how high up it was and what the visibility was. We entered the pattern at 1800 feet and made for the approach. I took over on base after I took the mask off and made the turn to final and called it on the unicom. J-P never touched the yoke after that. I made what I think is probably my best landing to date. (Un-Assisted that is).

As of 8/23/08 I have a total of 10.9 hours logged and a total of 27 landings.

Till next time-
Taylor

No comments: